USAA, representing the United Services Automobile Association, is a San Antonio-based insurance and financial services company. The company was founded in 1922 by 25 Army officers who came up with the idea of insuring each other’s cars.
Today, USAA employs more than 32,000 people and has more than 12.8 million members serving in the Marines, Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, National Guard, and Reserves.
The company also serves veterans, those who have received an honorable discharge, and qualified family members of service members or veterans.
To be clear, you must be an active or former member of the military (or the wife of one) to be a USAA customer.
Now that we’ve gone through the details of customer qualifications, let’s take a look at USAA’s auto insurance products.
USAA Car Insurance
USAA offers several different auto insurance coverages.
USAA car insurance products:
- Basic liability insurance includes personal injury liability and property damage coverage. This is the minimum form of insurance required for you to legally drive your car.
- Comprehensive coverage is an optional add-on that pays for repairs to your car caused by a non-accident-related incident such as flood, fire, vandalism, or hail.
- Collision coverage is an optional add-on that pays for repairs caused by an accident or rollover.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) is an optional advertisement that covers medical, funeral, or disability expenses resulting from an accident.
- Extended Benefits Coverage is an optional add-on that covers disability benefits and a death benefit that may result from an accident.
- Uninsured/Uninsured Driver Coverage is an optional add-on that pays for your passengers’ or passengers’ medical expenses if another driver causes an accident and you don’t have enough insurance.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Property Damage Coverage is an optional type of coverage that pays for repairs in case another driver causes damage to your car and you don’t have enough insurance.
- If you are looking for additional forms of coverage while on the move, USAA offers the following additional coverage:
- Rental car refund. This coverage pays for your rental car expenses while your car is being repaired after an accident.
- Roadside assistance. If you get stuck, get a flat tire, run out of gas, or if your battery runs out, USAA will send a tow truck to help, free of charge.
- Forgiveness for Accidents. If you don’t have an accident for five years and then cause an accident, you won’t see your rates increase.
USAA Home Insurance
With a USAA homeowners insurance policy, your home will be covered for damage caused by fire, theft, vandalism, hail, and most other weather-related incidents.
You’ll also have liability coverage, which pays most of your legal fees if you’re sued by someone who was injured in your home or property.
Additional USAA Homeowners Insurance Features:
- Housing Coverage pays for the cost of repairing your home if it is damaged by a covered incident (eg, fire or hail).
- Personal belongings coverage will pay for the replacement or repair of your items, such as your TV, refrigerator, washer, and dryer if they are damaged during a covered event.
- Home-sharing coverage is worth repairing damage caused by a qualifying event, even if you’ve decided to rent a room in your home or rent your entire home to another family.
- Earthquake coverage is available in some states. If you live in an earthquake-prone area, probably add this to your policy.
- Loss of use can help you if your home is damaged to the extent that it is uninhabitable; this coverage compensates for any increase in housing expenses you may experience due to the need to relocate and rent another housing.
- Personal liability pays for the legal expenses you may incur if someone is injured on your property or home and decides to sue you.
- Other structures. This coverage pays for the repair costs of your outdoor structures, like a detached garage or that coveted storage shed in your backyard. If the strong wind knocks your fence down, you might even be covered for that too.
- Uniform Coverage will pay to replace your uniform if you are active in the military and are damaged during a covered loss.
USAA Insurance App
The USAA Mobile App is one of the highest-rated financial or insurance apps I have ever seen.
The app can be used to access bank accounts, insurance policies, investment accounts, and other services.
Account-holders can download the USAA mobile app from the App Store, where the app is rated 4.8 stars (out of 5).
Android users can download the app from the Google Play Store, where the app has earned 4.6 stars (out of 5).
First and foremost, you must be an active military member or a veteran to qualify for USAA membership.
If you meet these criteria, you can apply for a policy on their website.
To sign up for car insurance, click the yellow Get a free quote button in the middle of your browser.
You will need to log in with your existing account credentials or sign up for a new membership account.
USAA verifies your eligibility based on the information provided.
On the next page, the USAA asks how you are affiliated with the military.
If you are eligible, USAA will collect more information about you, including your home address, citizenship status, gender, and marital status. You will need to enter your Social Security number.
In the last step, you must agree to USAA’s online legal agreement.
Once that’s done, you can continue on your account and sign up for the insurance plan that’s right for you.
USAA insurance discounts
If you want to get the best price on your US homeowners insurance policy, you have several options.
USAA insurance discount options:
- Aggregating domestic and automatic policies can save up to 10%
- Opting for a higher deductible lowers your annual or monthly premium payments
- Homeowners with protective devices installed, such as fire alarms and security equipment, may be entitled to a discount
- Policyholders who do not file a claim for five years can get a 10% discount on their annual policy cost
USAA Insurance Security
USAA offers some well-organized security features, which they discuss in their Security Center.
USAA is the first insurance company I’ve reviewed that uses biometric technology to verify a customer’s identity.
That said, it can be a privacy nightmare for some, while others might be excited about it.
Either way, it’s an option you don’t need to use and it’s only available on the mobile app.
USAA Security Features:
- CyberCode Text: Prevents unauthorized access to your online account. To access your account, you will need to enter a unique code that will be sent to you when you wish to log in.
- Quick Start: Uses Symantec authentication and VIP technology to generate a unique PIN code that allows access to your account.
- Biometric Authentication: This can be used for account access on the USAA mobile app. This means they will be able to use fingerprints, facials, or voice recognition to ensure the right person is entering.
USAA has a reputation for providing excellent customer support to its members. JD Power ranks it among the best for satisfying auto insurance customers and homeowners.
If you need to contact customer support, the company offers a virtual agent on their contact page who can likely help with basic questions.
You can also contact them by calling 1-800-531-USAA. Please keep in mind that customer phone support is not available 24/7. It is, however, most of the time you might need it.
Pros and Cons of USAA Insurance
- Best-in-class customer satisfaction and support
- Wide range of insurance, banking, and investment products
- The top-rated mobile app makes it easy to manage your accounts on the go
- Only available to active or retired military service members and their families
- Customer support is not available 24/7